Whether you’re getting started in private practice or ready to take your practice to the next level, this course is your one-stop source for essential information and actionable strategies.
This hands-on, modern live online course (via Zoom) will help you kickstart your profitable, dream business.
No matter where you are on your professional journey, our careful planning will help you reach your goals for only $500!
• Get practical tips and strategies for creating a business plan, budgeting, setting rates, HIPAA compliance, marketing, and more.
• Learn how to effectively leverage social media to grow your practice.
• Consider ethical issues and how to avoid common pitfalls. (Bonus: This session will count toward ASHA’s certification maintenance professional development requirement for ethics!)
• Explore specialized areas of practice around specific populations, such as AAC, forensic SLP, gender-affirming voice care, nonprofit practice, and more.
EARN 1.4 ASHA CEUs
Taking the leap toward a career as a private practice owner can be daunting. This course is designed to empower practitioners at every career stage and enable them to implement successful strategies for starting, enhancing, supervising, and/or operating a private practice (group or solo). This course provides participants with skills needed for life and career planning as well as the principles and practices necessary for being a BOSS! This course will assist participants in many areas of their career development including taxes, budgeting, starting a company, branding, insurance policies, estate planning, benefits, retirement plans, quality of life, organization, time management, and building credit.
WHY IS THE COURSE OFFERED?
This course is designed to build confidence while providing the necessary tools to successfully navigate through challenges that may be faced in the participant’s career. The course is offered because there is a need for knowledge regarding business ownership, life, and career planning while matriculating through college. Participants will have the opportunity to engage and learn from a certified and licensed speech-language pathologist that has successfully managed a private practice.
WHY WAS THE COURSE CREATED?
Initially, the course idea began with graduate students in mind. Since the fall of 2019, the instructor has worked with 40 graduate clinicians from colleges and universities around the world. Since then, he has always taken the time to explain the ins and outs of private practice to clinicians. Research has shown that this does not occur at other private practice externships. At Dynamic Therapy, graduate students are given the opportunity to learn what it takes to run a business from billing to scheduling. It’s now time for others to learn as the content is too good for only a few students to experience.
LEARN MORE ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR HERE.
|Positive affirmations are very powerful because they can release you from negativity, fear, worry, and anxiety. When these affirmations are repeated over and over again, they begin to take charge of your thoughts, slowly changing your pattern of thinking and ultimately changing your life. Due to this, the program will consist of new affirmations weekly. Additionally, participants will create their own affirmations during each class.|
|Session 1 Class Affirmation: I know a lot about private practice! |
⚫ Types of private practices
⚫ Starting a company
⚫ Types of companies
⚫ Trademarks, copyrights, and patents
|Session 2 Class Affirmation: I know how to write a business plan!|
⚫ Business license
⚫ Executive summary
⚫ Business description
⚫ Market analysis and strategy
⚫ Marketing and sales plan
⚫ Competitive analysis
⚫ Management and organization description
⚫ Products and services description
⚫ Operating plan
⚫ Financial projection and needs
⚫ Exhibits and appendices
⚫ Executive summary
|Session 3 Class Affirmation: I am compliant! |
⚫ Ethical and legal issues
⚫ Malpractice issues
⚫ Professional liability insurance
|Session 4 Class Affirmation: I am a profitable business owner! |
⚫ Garnering business
⚫ Standing out
⚫ Advertising the business
⚫ Contracting services
⚫ RFP and bidding process
|Session 5 Class Affirmation: I am a dynamic business owner! |
⚫ Insurance policies
⚫ Estate planning
⚫ Quality of life
⚫ Time management
⚫ Building your credit
|Session 6 Class Affirmation: I am an impressive professional! |
⚫ Cover letter
⚫ Email etiquette
⚫ Dressing for success
|Session 7 Class Affirmation: I have a dynamic business plan!|
⚫ Show and tell
This course will create opportunities that assess knowledge, comprehension, application, analysis, synthesis, and evaluation.
As a result of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Determine suitability for owning and operating a private practice.
- Examine training and licensure requirements for conducting a private practice.
- Examine factors related to establishing a private practice.
- Define malpractice insurance and describe how it relates to private practices.
- Explain contract and negotiation processes for private practices.
- Describe insurance, billing, coding, and documentation in private practice.
- Identify the best business structure for their state and tax requirements.
- Write a business plan.
- Find and apply for an NPI number and EIN.
- Explain how to set rates ethically.
- Explain the steps to becoming an insurance provider.
- List the differences between private insurance, Medicare, and Medicaid.
- Explain the basics of billing, including DSM-5 and CPT codes.
- Identify the best methods of marketing their practice.
- List 3 ways to comply with HIPAA regulations.
- Explain the necessary skills to manage the business aspect of starting and growing a private practice.
Financial — Darius Thomas is the Founder and Chief Executive Officer of Dynamic Therapy and earns a regular fee.
Nonfinancial — No relevant nonfinancial relationship exists.
SIGN UP HERE:
Program Completion Requirements:
Participants are highly encouraged to attend all sessions. Individuals who are not present for the full course will receive partial credit for the sessions they attend.
Examples Given: If a participant attends only 1 session, they will earn 0.2 ASHA CEUs. If a participant attends only 2 sessions, they will earn 0.4 ASHA CEUs, etc.
Please note that an ASHA CEU is a tenth of an hour. Thus, a one-hour course is equivalent to 0.1 ASHA CEU. In this 7-week course, the maximum ASHA CEUs translates to 1.4 ASHA CEUs (14 hours).
Inaugural Cohort (Fall 2021):
2nd Cohort (Winter 2022)
3rd Cohort (Fall 2022)